Sunday, May 10, 2009

A few of my favorite things.....



The word "caftan" can tend to conjure some scary images....Mu-mus, bad embroidery, loud and overdone patterns..... not necessarily the best vintage has to offer. But not all caftans have to be body-hiding tent dresses reserved for pregnant hippies..... In fact, my absolute favorite item in the store right now is the most elegant caftan- a dress so perfect it makes me wish for another word to describe it! Pictured above, this new arrival to the shop is a show-stopping orange with the most beautiful white and gray sequin flowers both at the neck and on the sleeves. I'm not normally a fan of sequins on anything, but on this dress, it is so tastefully done, I can't help but love it.

Besides everything, my favorite aspect of this dress is the simple orange sheath that hugs the body just enough to give the hint of a silhouette beneath the dramatic tented chiffon. When worn, you can still see the body (a rarity in most caftans) just enough to make it both sexy and mysterious.....I like to imagine it worn by a tan Miami woman in the late 60s- her black hair in a dramatic beehive, large gold earrings and sharp black clutch, it is her favorite evening dress and she wears it knowing how beautiful she looks. This confidence serves to simultaneously annoy her girlfriends and intrigue the men around her.... It's a show-shopping dress and it remains that way to this day... I just hope the next wearer of this piece exudes the same confidence this dress deserves. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment